• Project to benefit 106.12 lakh residents
• 24×7 PNG supply to 1.32 lakh households in 5 years
• One CNG station commissioned, 59 more to come up in 5 years
Marking a new chapter in the development of India’s IT capital, the Bengaluru City Gas Distribution (CGD) Project to supply eco-friendly Natural Gas to households, industries and transport sector was inaugurated today by Minister for Parliamentary Affairs and Chemicals & Fertilizers, Govt. of India Ananth Kumar. Present on the occasion were Minister for Statistics & Programme Implementation, Govt. of India D V Sadananda Gowda and Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Petroleum & Natural Gas, Govt. of India Dharmendra Pradhan.
The event was also graced by Hon’ble Member of Parliament, Bengaluru (Central) P C Mohan, Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha D Kupendra Reddy and Member of Legislative Assembly, Bommanahalli M Satish Reddy and a host of other dignitaries.
The Bengaluru CGD Project is being implemented by GAIL Gas Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Maharatna company GAIL (India) Limited, at an investment of Rs 6,283 crore.
The project will cover 4,395 sq km in urban and rural Bengaluru, broadly covering eight sectors – Nelamangala, Dod Ballapur, Devanahalli, Hosakote, Bengaluru East, Bengaluru North, Bengaluru South and Anekal.
The project will provide economical, environment friendly, uninterrupted, safe and convenient energy to 106.12 lakh residents of Bengaluru by supplying Piped Natural Gas (PNG) for households, industries and commercial units.
This will significantly add to people’s convenience as there will be no hassles of booking, advance payment, storage, handling of heavy weight cylinders and monitoring of cylinder delivery. Billing will be done once in two months based on consumption.
Moreover, with the setting up of 60 Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) stations, the project will provide cheaper fuel for the transport sector and also facilitate a healthy lifestyle by creating a pollution-free environment.
The inaugural ceremony was marked by a live streaming from a housewhere a PNG powered burner was lit, followed by another live streaming from a CNG Station of GAIL Gas at Leggere, Prem Nagar, Bengaluru.
During the event, GAIL Gas Limited also launched a mobile app that will provide a one-stop solution and a user-friendly platform to customers to view and pay their PNG Bills, locate CNG stations, know about the benefits of CNG, PNG, and get emergency instructions.
Project Status as on date
• 66 Kms of Steel and 452 Kms of MDPE pipeline already laid in Bengaluru
• Domestic PNG connections: Infrastructure laid for approximately 34,500 households out of which 23,300 houses are ready for conversion and approximately 3,000 houses are already using PNG
• CNG station in Laggare commissioned, 3 CNG stations at BMTC bus depots at Sumanahalli, Hennur and Peenya ready for commissioning
• 9 industries connected with Piped Natural Gas including Intel, BOSCH, BHEL, Apotex Pharmachemicals, ADCOCK Ingram Ltd., GARUDA POLYFLEX GTR Aluminium, Exclusive Overseas and Toyota Industries Engine India Ltd.
• 22 Commercial Units connected with PNG
GAIL (India) Limited is India’s No. 1 Integrated Natural Gas company with a market share of over 75% in natural gas transmission. Apart from being a leader in India, GAIL is also ranked as No. 1 amongst Gas utility companies in Asia. With over 11,000 Kms of Natural gas network, GAIL supplies India’s fuel requirements across sectors like Power, Fertilizer, Industrial, Automotive and even Household consumers through its subsidiaries. Apart from natural gas transmission, distribution and processing, the Company has diversified business interests in Petrochemicals, LPG transmission, City gas projects and Exploration and Production activities. The company is committed to expand its current network to 15,000 km within 5 years.
About GAIL Gas
GAIL Gas Limited was incorporated in the year 2008 for implementation of downstream Natural Gas distribution projects across the country. It has been authorized by Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB) for implementing City Gas Distribution projects in Dewas (Madhya Pradesh), Kota (Rajasthan), Sonepat (Haryana), Meerut (Uttar Pradesh), Taj Trapezium Zone (Uttar Pradesh) and now Bengaluru (Karnataka).
Latest posts by Team EnergyInfraPost (see all)
- Global Crude Oil Price Of Indian Basket Was US$56.59 Per Bbl On 17.10.2017 – October 18, 2017
- Global Crude Oil Price Of Indian Basket Was US$56.37 Per Bbl On 16.10.2017 – October 17, 2017
- Piyush Goyal On Nation Wants To Know With Arnab Goswami Exclusive – October 16, 2017