Directorate General of Hydrocarbons (DGH) may be rethinking its plan to sell 60% stake in hydrocarbon blocks held by Oil and Natural Gas Corp. Ltd (ONGC) and Oil India Ltd (OIL), two people familiar with the development said.
Last November, as a production enhancement measure, DGH had proposed to sell a 60% stake in the hydrocarbon fields of ONGC and OIL to private exploration firms. The two firms would retain the rest 40%. The plan included 15 blocks—11 of ONGC and four of OIL.
ONGC officials have been protesting against the idea.
“We have written a detailed mail to the DGH providing data to them concerning the fields in question. We have asked them why is there a proposal and need to give 60% in these fields to private players as we have been producing from these fields for last three decades. We have been given to understand that the DGH is re-thinking on the plan,” said an ONGC official, one of the two cited above, on condition of anonymity.
The official added that if such a sale takes place, operational control of the fields would go to private firms.
Mails sent to ONGC and the DGH on 15 February remained unanswered. Read More…
Latest posts by Livemint (see all)
- Oil lingers slightly under 2019 highs on OPEC’s supply cuts, US sanctions - March 22, 2019
- GSPC to sell 12 of its 21 hydrocarbon blocks to pare debt - March 22, 2019
- ArcelorMittal-Essar Steel case: NCLAT calls for rework of payout of dues - March 20, 2019