Indian Railways on Wednesday ‘removed’ as many as 13 of its employees from service in connection with the Kalinga Utkal Express derailment which took place near Muzaffarnagar in Uttar Pradesh earlier this month, reported ANI.
Even last week, three top rail officials were sent on leave and three were suspended after an initial probe report which hinted that the derailment took place due to negligence. Thirteen coaches of the Puri-Haridwar Kalinga Utkal Express derailed at Khatauli near Muzaffarnagar in western Uttar Pradesh on the evening of August 19, killing over 20 people and injuring at least 200.
“The derailment happened because the track on the right side had been cut by a hexa blade that the permanent way inspectors (PWIs) were using while doing maintenance work,” said a preliminary report that was submitted to the railway board a day after the incident took place.
The development comes days after the Government Railway Police (GRP) started its investigation into the derailment of the train with its personnel visiting the accident site and recording statements of locals in Khatauli. According to a PTI report, the GRP had registered a case of death by rash and negligent act in connection with Utkal Express train accident under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code and The Railway Act.
The Commissioner of Rail Safety had summoned the station superintendent of Khatauli railway station Prakash Singh and 12 gangmen of Railways who were on duty when the derailment took place. “We have been called to Delhi to record our statements in connection with the inquiry being carried out by the CRS,” the station superintendent told PTI.
Another incident took place on Tuesday morning when the news of Mumbai-Nagpur Duronto Express derailment came. The engine along with nine coaches of the Nagpur-Mumbai Duranto Express derailed between Vasind and Asangaon in Mumbai on Tuesday morning. Reports of minor injuries have come up so far, making in the third train derailment in 10 days. Read more