Indian Railways is the backbone of long distance passenger transport in India with a network that spans more than 66030 km, making it the world’s third largest rail network and the fourth largest rail freight carrier. The Railways runs 12,000 trains connecting more than 8000 stations and carrying 23 million passengers, and over 7000 freight trains, carrying 3 million tonnes of freight every day.
Indian Railways transports 90% of the total coal moved in the country, supplying 50% of the power in India. Indian Railways have undertaken various initiatives to provide impetus to the Make in India program and also encourage investment in railway infrastructure through investor-friendly policies. Indian Railways have also taken up port connectivity on priority, through the PPP mode of funding in tandem with the Sagarmala project for Port Development.
Some of the recent key achievements are:
- First semi-high speed train, The Gatimaan Express between Delhi’s Hazrat Nizamuddin station and Agra Cantonment, was launched on April 5, 2016. This is the fastest train in India, running at up to 160 km/h to give a journey time of 1 hour 40 min on the 188 km route.
- Mumbai-Ahmedabad high speed rail project has been sanctioned at a total cost INR 97,636 crore.
- Biggest ‘Make in India’ initiative with JV agreements worth INR 40,000 crores signed between Ministry of Railways and M/S Alstom Manufacturing India for setting up an Electric locomotive factory at Madhepura, and with GE Global Sourcing India Pvt. Ltd for setting up a Diesel locomotive factory in Marhowra for rolling stock manufacturing (November 2015).
- 2828 km of Broad Gauge lines commissioned in FY 2015-16 which is highest ever & 1983 km of Broad Gauge lines in FY 2014-15 against an average of 1528 km during 2009-14.
image credit: RackBrains Media
Latest posts by Pib.nic.in (see all)
- Hon’ble Prime Minister to lay Foundation Stones of City Gas Distribution (CGD) Projects in 65 Geographical Areas (GAs) in 129 Districts under the 9th CGD Bidding Round - November 20, 2018
- Attaining Freedom from Coal Shortages Transparent Mineral Auction - May 25, 2017
- A big turn-around in India’s Power Sector - May 25, 2017