Buoyed by its success with senior citizens, the Indian Railways is set to extend its ‘Give it up’ scheme to include other concession holders to offset its nearly Rs 33,000-crore subsidy burden in annual passenger fares.
The decision was taken after figures showed that following the introduction of the scheme last year – by which senior citizens can opt to give up 50 per cent of their fare subsidy, more than 19 lakh people gave up the concession, resulting in a saving of more than Rs 32 crore between July 22, 2017, and March 31, 2018 for the railways.
“We realised that in 2016 when we were telling people to give up their concession by 100 per cent, many did not do. In 2017, when we gave them the option of giving up 50 per cent, many came forward,” a Railway Ministry official said.
“This is completely voluntary and now we’re preparing a campaign to encourage more such concession holders to come forward,” the official said. Read More
Latest posts by The Hindustan Times (see all)
- 113-year-old Steam Engine Back On Shimla-kalka Track - October 18, 2018
- New Farakka Express derailment: Preliminary enquiry indicates glitch in train’s guiding system - October 17, 2018
- Railways May Remove Drapes From 2AC Coaches - October 14, 2018