ReNew Power Ventures Pvt. Ltd. (“ReNew Power”), India’s leading renewable energy company, today announced the launch of the ‘Sumant Sinha ReNew Centre of Excellence (CoE) for Energy & Environment’ at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi.
The CoE was inaugurated by Prakash Javadekar, Union Minister for Human Resource Development, Government of India. The inauguration ceremony was attended by Prof. V. Ramagopal Rao, Director of IIT Delhi, Sumant Sinha, Founding Chairman & CEO of ReNew Power, faculty members & students of IIT Delhi and other dignitaries from academia, industry bodies, government and the corporate world.
The aim of this Centre of Excellence is to:
- Establish a world-class research & development facility to develop cutting-edge renewable energy solutions
- Foster exchange of ideas between industry, academia and policy makers from across the world to promote faster adoption of renewable energy
- Offer research and internship opportunities for undergraduate, postgraduate and Ph.D. students in industry
- Develop research reports on renewable energy policy matters for Government of India and multilateral organizations
- Skill enhancement of women engineers for entrepreneurship and in the field of renewable energy
A hub for clean energy research:
In the current form, the COE will be a hub at IIT Delhi for clean energy related research and the endeavor is to make it the most reputable and eminent center for clean energy research. The Centre is currently undertaking research in the fields of
- Integration of large scale solar rooftop capacity with the electricity distribution network using battery storage technology
- Measures for strengthening of transmission grid to accommodate the flow of renewable energy from utility scale plants
- Development of charging infrastructure for electric vehicles.
Research outcomes will contribute towards accelerated development of these evolving fields. Also, the outcomes would be shared with the relevant Government Institutions on a periodic basis to enable policy shaping.
Javadekar while inaugurating the CoE said, “I am delighted that ReNew Power has undertaken this initiative to take industry academia partnership to greater heights. Industry participation is essential for creating solutions which are market ready and this COE will help solve critical problems in the clean energy sector.”
Sumant Sinha, Chairman & CEO, ReNew Power said, “We, at ReNew Power, are delighted to be partnering the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi and I consider myself fortunate to start this initiative in my alma mater. I would like to thank the IIT team for their support and collaboration in setting up this Centre of Excellence. We are confident that this partnership will facilitate innovative research and help develop leading edge clean energy solutions to preserve the Earth for future generations. It will also promote the exchange of ideas between industry, academia and policy makers from across the world to promote faster adoption of renewable energy.”
Speaking about the initiative, Prof. V. Ramagopal Rao, Director, IIT Delhi said “ We are confident that the collaboration between IIT Delhi and ReNew Power in the form of the Centre of Excellence will go a long way in bringing to life the solutions and opportunities for prospective renewable energy scholars.
The CoE will bring together knowledge and research on clean energy, facilitate clean energy investments, and help deploy clean energy technology solutions to establish India as a rising leader in the world of renewable energy.”
With a strong leadership team, led by Founder Chairman and CEO, Sumant Sinha, ReNew Power is one of India’s fastest growing renewable energy independent power producers with over 2.5 GW of operational capacity in a short span of 6 years.
One of the best capitalized renewable energy companies in India with over $3 billion in equity and debt capital combined, ReNew Power has attracted blue chip investors like Goldman Sachs and Global Environment Fund from the USA, Abu Dhabi Investment Authority from the Middle East and the Asian Development Bank and JERA from Asia. As a socially responsible company, ReNew Power impacts the lives of 1.32 lakh people in 92 villages in and around its project sites across various states in India.
Latest posts by Team EnergyInfraPost (see all)
- Power Pavilion At India Sourcing Fair-2018 At St. Petersburg Showcases Indian Power Potential - March 23, 2018
- BHEL Signs Technology Transfer Agreement WithISRO ForManufacture Of Space Grade Lithium-ion Cells - March 23, 2018
- BHEL Commissions First Unit Of Kishanganga HEP In Jammu & Kashmir - March 19, 2018