PM Modi today announced the “Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Ghar Yojana – Saubhagya” for electrification of households across the country. The scheme is meant to provide electricity to all households across India, rural and urban.
The scheme aims to cover all rural households by December end, this year. The government also announced that states and union territories need to complete the process of electrification by March 31, 2019.
Here’s what the Saubhagya scheme is all about:
The total appointed budget of the scheme has been laid out to be Rs 16,320 crore.
- The division in funding is as follows: 60% Government of India grant, 10% Utilities/State contribution, 30% loans.
- For special category states the percentage of government grant will be 85% while the states will be contributing 5%.
- The households eligible for free electricity will be identified on the basis of Socio-Economic and Caste Census of 2011.
- Households that do not fall under the scheme will also be provided electricity at a sum of Rs 500 which will recovered in 10 installments through electricity bill.
- Households in remote areas where it is not feasible to provide electricity will be provided with solar power packs of 200 to 300 Wp (Watt peak).
- A mobile app will be used to identify and register beneficiaries under the scheme.
- In rural areas, the Panchayat and other public institutions will be authorized to collect forms and other documentations along with bills.
- The Rural Electrification Corporation Limited (REC) has been appointed as the nodal agency for the implementation of the Saubhagya scheme.
- The government expects that the scheme will help in upgradation of environment by reducing the use of kerosene, improve education services, health services and will result in increased economic activities. Read more
Latest posts by Indiatoday.in (see all)
- New Rail Route To Connect Darjeeling With Bangladesh - September 19, 2018
- Indian Railways To Run Ladies Special Trains In Delhi On Raksha Bandhan - August 24, 2018
- Security Of Passengers: 345 Stations And 4780 Hand Held Metal Detectors At Rly Stations - August 10, 2018