Solar installations in India more than doubled to 9,629 Mw during calendar 2017, from 4,313 Mw during 2016, making it the best year for the sector in the country. Cumulative solar capacity stood at 19.6 Gw as of December 31, 2017, backed by large-scale solar projects, which accounted for about 90 per cent, or 8,634 Mw of the total, while the remaining 10 per cent (995 Mw) was from rooftop installations.
Large-scale projects more than doubled year-on-year in 2017, while rooftop installations were up 56 per cent, with cumulative installations totalling nearly 1.6 Gw as of December 31, 2017, according to a report by clean energy consultation and research firm, Mercom India. However, the company has also forecast a decline in the number of new solar installations during the current (2018) by as much as 22 per cent, to 7.5 Gw.
The pipeline of utility-scale projects currently stands at about 10.6 Gw, with another 4.3 Gw of tenders pending auction. Solar was the fastest-growing in the country’s renewable energy space in 2017, accounting for over 45 per cent of all new power installations. This robust pace of installations also made solar the largest single source of new power capacity additions in 2017. Read More…
Latest posts by Business-Standard.com (see all)
- Bangladesh bound Bhutanese coal stranded in India following SC order - January 18, 2019
- Oil prices set for third weekly increase on OPEC curbs, demand hopes - January 18, 2019
- BHEL and LIBCOIN in dialogue to build India’s first lithium ion factory - January 18, 2019