Union Minister Piyush Goyal is holding charge of four important economic ministries including Power, RE, Coal and Mines. After de-monetisation move, Goyal has also been helping the government on this front but his performance in the four sectors has clearly given him an edge over many others in the Modi government.
At EnergyInfraPost.com, while we have done an in-depth analysis of all the four sectors including power, RE, coal and mines, we in this article give you a quick sneak peek into the priority areas set by the minister for his four ministries during 2017.
Ministry Wise Priority Areas for 2017
- Electrification – From Villages to Households: After the remaining villages are electrified, ensuring every house is electrified
- Customer First: Focus on quality of power supply – Monitoring hours and quality of power supply and ensuring that consumers are empowered with information
- Replacement of old power capacity: Replacement of more than 25 years old power plants of NTPC to help the environment and deliver affordable power
- Bringing all States under the ambit of distribution reform, UDAY and focus on loss reduction
- Safe and clean cities: Expansion of underground power cabling programme across multiple States
- Empowered Farmer – Rollout of mobile operated energy efficient pumps programme across States
- Energy Efficient Households: Expanded rollout of energy efficient electricals from LED bulbs to efficient fans and LED tube lights
New & Renewable Energy:
- Affordable Wind Power: Wind auctions to transparently reduce prices
- Electric Vehicles: Mobility scheme to achieve the vision of promoting EV based transportation for India
- Taking the message of clean energy across the world: Founding conference of International Solar Alliance planned
- Global Renewable Energy Investors Meet: World’s largest renewable energy Investors Meet “RE-Invest” to be organized
- Solar Energy from every Roof: Expansion of rooftop solar programmes
- Make In India for Solar: Domestic manufacturing scheme for solar to be launched
- Prosperous Farmer – Pollution Free India: Scheme for Bio-mass like rice husk utilization
- Renewable Energy Fund: Launch of renewable energy fund under National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF)
- Rapid Exploration to bring back “Sone Ki Chidiya”: Rapid exploration especially in all areas including precious metals like Gold and Diamond to make India self-sufficient. This will include expanded exploration auctions and subcontracting and aero-geophysical reconnaissance.
- Technology for Transparency: Wide usage of systems like Satellite Surveillance System, Mining Tenement System and Online Core Business Integrated System to bring in transparency and accountability in the Mining Sector
- Rapid Mining Expansion to utilise wealth of India: Create jobs and wealth through rapid expansion of mining activity
- Sustainable Mining: Star rating of mines for their environmental performance and incentivise compliance
- Mine in India – Import Substitution: Remove import dependence by substituting imported coal usage with domestic coal
- Quality Coal: Control grade slippage through enhanced third party sampling and expanded coal washing
- Green Mining: Ensure mines exist in harmony with nature and communities through world class initiatives for water usage through recycling and dust control
- Welfare of Workers: Physical and financial safety for workmen through strict monitoring and enforcement of mine safety standards and transparent payment of dues.
Currently, Writing a Book for Penguin India Titled Greased Pole:How Politics and Lobbying Stifled India’s Energy Dreams. The author can be reached on email@example.com (9810661825)
Latest posts by Anupama Airy (see all)
- CCEA approves construction of major railway line projects worth Rs 4,000 crore for increasing power flow to Tamil Nadu and Kerala – August 2, 2017
- PM Narendra Modi Reviews Progress Of India’s Flagship Scheme–UDAY As Also Mineral Block Auctions – July 21, 2017
- After Solar It’s Wind Energy Powering India’s Power Sector – July 21, 2017