This isn’t the first time Mughalsarai will be renamed. According to the records, in past centuries, it has been variously known as Mughalchak, Mangalpur and Oven Nagar. The township was named Mughalsarai when the railways established a junction here in 1883.
Located along the Grand Trunk Road, also called Sadak-e-Azam by Sher Shah Suri, Mughalsarai was one of the corridors connecting north India with the east during the Mughal period.
According to railway records, when the British started laying railway lines in this part of the country , the Patna Mughalsarai division came into existence in 1862, followed by the Mughalsarai-Allahabad division in 1864. The Mughalsarai-Varanasi-Rae Bareli and the Mughalsarai-Gaya divisions came into existence in 1898 and 1900, respectively. Read More…
Credit By: ET
Latest posts by The Economic Times (see all)
- Digitization Of Power Grid Will Cut Losses: Schneider Official – August 18, 2017
- Centre Rejigs PPA, Takes The Wind Out Of State Discom Bullies – August 17, 2017
- IGL Expects Rs 150 Crore Annual Revenue From Gurgaon City Gas Services – August 15, 2017